Thursday, October 10, 2013

NFL Picks Week Six: I'm quitting football

So I'm going to keep this short and sweet for a few reasons this week. For one, I'm exhausted today and I'm not really sure why since I actually got eight hours of sleep last night. These things happen I guess. For another, I'm rushing to work right now. Thirdly, did anyone catch how the Giants played the other worst team in the NFC East, rallied to take the lead in the second half and then proceeded to turn the ball over three times and lose by 15 to a backup quarterback against their biggest rival? I know I did.

Lastly, Northwestern did almost everything they needed to do Saturday night against No. 3 Ohio State in what had the makings of a statement game and probably played the best game on both sides of the ball that I've ever seen the Wildcats play since I got my acceptance letter 11 years ago. In the second half they had a 10-point lead against the consensus favorite to win the Big Ten and a potential National Championship contender.

And then they lost.

I'm still not emotionally ready to talk about this, which to anyone who knows me, watched the game or watched the game with me, probably isn't surprised by. As such, rather than re-watch NU's final series of the first half in my head again, a drive in which the Cats got inside the OSU 10 yard line with a chance to take an 11-point and get the ball to start the second half (the potential for a three-score lead on the No. 3 team in the country), but instead settled for a field goal and a seven-point edge that would be easily erased, I'm going to just pretend football isn't happening this weekend. Instead I will submerge myself into the baseball playoffs even though the two teams I was actively rooting for (Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh) are now out of it.

At least until 8:25 when the Giants kick off against the Bears tonight. On the plus side, once that game ends the Giants don't play again until next Monday, the longest possible break between games the NFL allows without a bye. At least I won't have to think about them for 11 days. Right?

Last week: 7-7-0
Season: 32-43-2

NY Giants (+7.5) over CHICAGO
Cincinnati (-7) over BUFFALO
Detroit (-2.5) over CLEVELAND
KANSAS CITY (-9) over Oakland
Carolina (+2.5) over MINNESOTA
NY JETS (-2.5) over Pittsburgh
TAMPA BAY (+1) over Philadelphia
Green Bay (-2.5) over BALTIMORE
HOUSTON (-7.5) over St. Louis
Jacksonville (+27) over DENVER
SEATTLE (-13.5) over Tennessee
NEW ENGLAND (-2.5) over New Orleans
SAN FRANCISCO (-11) over Arizona
DALLAS (-5.5) over Washington
Indianapolis (-1.5) over SAN DIEGO

No comments:

Post a Comment