Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Ok, so it's been a while. What's good?

It occurred to me this morning that I've gone more than a month without updating this here blogtastic space, and that probably qualifies as the longest I've ever gone without publishing a new post. I know some of you (two people) are disappointed by this. I have no one to blame but myself and the countries of Spain, Portugal and Morocco, but when you leave the country for three weeks in July and this is followed by what is the deadest black hole of sports all year (particularly when you're a Mets fan), well, this is what happens.

I apologize for that, but, I mean, let's been honest. There's been a grand total of zero that's happened in the sports world aside from Germany winning the Weltmeisterschaft, and that was nearly a month ago. I imagine most of you don't want me to get nerdy and wax poetic on the Giants' installation of their new offense under Ben McAdoo. You definitely have zero interest in a treatise on how Geelong recently solidified a top-four (and maybe top-two) spot in the ladder by edging Fremantle with the 2014 AFL Finals Series right around the corner. Have any interest in how I feel about Southampton selling pretty much every player they own to Liverpool and then naming Jose Fonte captain? I didn't think so, though I would like to point out how much I love their new jerseys while we're at it.

What's that? You want to talk about the sudden emergence of Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom because you actually know about the Mets? You're inspired by his remarkable July that saw him go 4-1 with a 1.39 ERA, earning him NL Rookie of the Month honors? His deGromination of the National League has you thinking Sandy Alderson and his player development staff uncovered another stud pitching prospect that could be flipped for a badly needed bat or bolster what looks like it could be a stellar rotation next season?

You have...hope?

Oh wait. Never mind all that.

Let's talk about the Knicks, who are preparing for should be another superb season. Carmelo Anthony re-signed with the team long-term, so he, a man with a burning desire to win his first championship, must feel the 'Bockers are right on the cusp of turning back into a title contender. After all, a man that close to the action must have a better idea of their prospects than laymen like you or I.

Huh? What's that? Wow. Don't professional athletes always think they're on a championship team? Aren't most of them bolstered by irrational self-confidence? Apparently not.

Well, maybe Northwestern University can provide some inspiration. After all, after perhaps the biggest letdown in program history in 2013, a 5-7 season on the heels of the school's best season since the 1996 Rose Bowl in which just about everything went wrong, the Wildcats are bound for a turnaround. After all, it simply can't be as bad as last season, not with versatile running back Venric Mark back in the fold after he missed most of 2013 due to injury.

Oh. Well, shit.

As you can see, there's a lot of fun stuff to talk about. Things are upllifting and the team I care about with the best championship prospects right now is one that you've all heard of and watched many times. Honestly, I can't imagine a better time to be alive if you like all the same teams I do. Nope. Definitely not.

Hey, did you guys hear I went to Spain recently? They have sports teams that actually win there. Who wants to talk about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment